The most common cause of long-term injury is manual handling. It is very prevalent for workers who carry out overhead electrical work when they work for energy companies.
These workers lift heavy structures such as cross-arms and they access work at height on ladders and in elevated work platforms. Sustained overreaching and poor postures can lead to long term back, neck and shoulder injuries.
This course has a clear focus on manual handling injuries that may come from the work that is carried out when workers are maintaining the electricity supply. The scene uses an electrical company’s training yard to focus on manual handling risks as workers carry out maintenance work.
At the completion of this course learners will:
- Learn how to apply the Safety Hierarchy of Controls to address workplace hazards.
- Learn how to safely lift an object.
- Learn how to work out of the elevated work platform to apply earths and place the bucket to avoid overreaching.
- Learn how to safely transport earth leads that are awkward to handle and how to eliminate trip hazards.
- Learn the safe way to load and unload extension ladders on vehicles.
- Learn how to use a link stick when performing switching tasks to avoid excessive neck and shoulder strain.
- Understand how to remove crossarms to reduce the weight and avoid lifting overweight materials.
- Understand the stress that vibration hazards can have on muscles and joints.
- Learn about the stress on the body when driving vehicles and powered mobile plant and the need to maintain ergonomic seating.
- Learn about physical and mental fatigue and how body stressing can lead to manual handling injuries.
- Understand the impact of working in extremely hot or cold conditions can have on the body when manually handling materials.
Course length: 30 mins (9 x 2-minute animated and subtitled videos + short answer assessments)
- Includes a panoramic scene and hazard spotting game
- Certificate of completion
- In-depth Reporting
- Facilitator’s Guide including video transcript and Assessment Q&A’s
- Optional pass rate
- All content can be customised
Available in English