The mining maintenance workshop is similar to many other service workshops except that the powered mobile plant is considerably larger. With this size comes an increase in blind spots and vision shadows where the operator cannot see others working around them.
This course trains around typical risks that occur when working in a mining maintenance workshop with a particular focus on pinch points, isolations, working at height and suspended loads. Barricading requirements and clear communication are trained to ensure that workers do not place themselves under a suspended load.
Workers use powered hand tools, compressors, jacks and stands, welding equipment, and oils and chemicals, on a regular basis. The safe operation and handling of this equipment and hazardous materials are a key focus.
At the completion of this course learners will:
- Learn how to apply the Safety Hierarchy of Controls to address workplace hazards.
- Learn how to store and safely handle chemicals and hazardous substances, clean up spills and dispose of waste.
- Learn how to safely lift an object to avoid manual handling injuries.
- Understand line of fire risks when operating systems and equipment under pressure, such as air hoses.
- Understand working at heights risks to avoid falls from height.
- Learn how to safely store tools and materials in designated storage areas by conducting regular housekeeping activities.
- Learn the importance of correctly blocking and chocking the wheels of power mobile equipment to prevent unintended movement.
- Understand that they must never walk or work under a suspended load.
- Recognise the need to successfully screen all hot works to prevent injury for others in the work area.
- Understand the dangers in a workshop with equipment that is regularly moving in and out of the area.
- Learn about how to protect their hearing when working in noisy areas.
- Understand how to prevent line of fire risks and to isolate and test for dead before commencing work.
- Learn what to do in the case of a fire or major emergency.
Course length: 30 mins (12 x 1-minute animated and subtitled videos + short answer assessments)
- Includes a panoramic scene and hazard spotting game
- Certificate of completion
- In-depth Reporting
- Facilitator’s Guide including video transcript and Assessment Q&A’s
- Optional pass rate
- All content can be customised
- Pause and resume function
Available in English.