The installation of underground power lines in trenches and basements often requires a lot of bending and stooping.. When workers complete tasks in a stooped or crouched position on a regular basis they place pressure on their knees, spine and neck.
This course teaches workers about the need to plan and design substations and basements with high ceilings to reduce the need to stoop and bend. The course trains about excavating and hand digging trenches to ensure that there is sufficient room to work so as to reduce the need to work in cramped conditions.
The training discusses safe manual handling and repetitive tasks such as hand digging in a scene where workers are installing electrical cables in a trench.
At the completion of this course learners will:
- Learn how to apply the Safety Hierarchy of Controls to address workplace hazards.
- Learn how to safely lift an object.
- Learn how to safely excavate materials by hand and understand the stress on the body while shovelling in cramped conditions such as a trench.
- Learn the safe way to load and unload extension ladders on vehicles.
- Learn how to safely pass materials from one level to another to reduce strain on the body.
- Learn how to work around installing cables in cramped conditions such as trenches and in basements with low ceilings.
- Learn how to access and egress a trench to prevent the risk of a slip, a fall, or a musculoskeletal injury and impact on your body.
- Learn about the stress on the body when driving vehicles and powered mobile plant and the need to maintain ergonomic seating.
- Learn about physical and mental fatigue and how body stressing can lead to manual handling injuries.
- Understand the impact of working in extremely hot or cold conditions can have on the body when manually handling materials.
Course length: 30 mins (8 x 2-minute animated and subtitled videos + short answer assessments)
- Includes a panoramic scene and hazard spotting game
- Certificate of completion
- In-depth Reporting
- Facilitator’s Guide including video transcript and Assessment Q&A’s
- Optional pass rate
- All content can be customised
- Pause and resume function
Available in English.