Working with chemicals is highly hazardous and can cause adverse health effects. Exposure usually occurs through inhalation, skin contact or ingestion. Adverse health effects can be short or long-term. Typical acute health effects include headaches, nausea or vomiting and skin corrosion, while chronic health effects include asthma, dermatitis, nerve damage or cancer.
The inappropriate handling or use of chemicals can result in injury. Chemicals can be flammable, corrosive, explosive, chemically reactive and oxidising, resulting in fire and explosions.
This course provides training on the safe handling, storage, transportation and disposal of chemicals used in the workplace. The training focuses on the safe use of chemicals according to SDS and manufacturer’s recommendations. The course trains how to correctly label containers when decanting and preparing to dispose of as waste, PPE requirements, cleaning up spills, and the importance of ventilation.
At the completion of this course learners will:
- Learn how to apply the Safety Hierarchy of Controls to address workplace hazards.
- Understand the importance of wearing the appropriate personal protective equipment when handling chemicals.
- Learn how some processes will produce hazardous chemicals as by-products or waste.
- Learn how to read a safety data sheet.
- Learn where to find chemical labels and understand how to interpret pictograms.
- Learn how to safely store chemicals in the workplace.
- Learn how to clean up a chemical spill and dispose of the waste in the correct spill kit.
- Learn how to ensure there is adequate ventilation when handling and using chemicals.
- Understand the likelihood of fire or explosion when handling chemicals and how to avoid emergencies.
- Learn how to safely transport chemicals.
Course length: 30 mins (10 x 1-minute animated and subtitled videos + short answer assessments)
- Certificate of completion
- In-depth Reporting
- Facilitator’s Guide including video transcript and Assessment Q&A’s
- Optional pass rate
- All content can be customised
- Pause and resume function
Available in English and French.