Excavation collapses are particularly dangerous. They can occur quickly, limiting the ability of workers and others to escape, especially if the collapse of a trench, tunnel or shaft is extensive. The speed of an excavation collapse increases the risk associated with excavation work. The consequences are significant because falling earth can bury or crush a person in its path. This can result in death by suffocation or internal crush injuries.
This course provides training on safe excavations around safe storage of excavated materials, trenching, benching and shoring, and working around underground services. The course also looks at the dangers of asbestos-contaminated soil and silica dust.
This training challenges workers to think about injuries as a result of a fall, poor manual handling, working around powered mobile plant and managing worksites to only allow access to authorised personnel.
At the completion of this course, learners will:
- Learn how to apply the Safety Hierarchy of Controls to address workplace hazards.
- Learn how to store excavated material to avoid collapse of the side of the excavation.
- Learn how to safely operate powered mobile plant such as excavators.
- Learn how to establish an effective communication system when operating powered mobile plant.
- Learn about fall from height risks when working around trenches and excavation work.
- Learn about the manual handling risks when performing such tasks as shovelling and hand excavation activities.
- Learn the requirements of benching, battering and shoring.
- Understand the risks when operating excavators near overhead power lines.
- Understand ventilation hazards when working in a trench.
- Learn about the risk of coming into contact with asbestos when performing excavation works.
- Understand the importance of locating underground services before commencing excavation work.
- Learn about the risk of coming into contact with silica dust when performing excavation works.
Course length: 30 mins (10 x 2-minute animated and subtitled videos + short answer assessments)
- Certificate of completion
- In-depth Reporting
- Facilitator’s Guide including video transcript and Assessment Q&A’s
- Optional pass rate
- All content can be customised
- Pause and resume function
Available in English.
This course is suitable for use in Australia.