Conducting civil works alongside live traffic lanes presents the need to carefully consider safety around traffic management. Members of the public are not always predictable and can be confused with the changes to the flow of traffic.
In this course, we train about the hazards of working alongside live traffic lanes during road construction work. The focus is on managing the site to keep it separated from the public and advises what to do when the site becomes compromised. At all times, the safety of the traffic controller is at the forefront.
Traffic control requirements and duties are taught in view of the hazards of working around operating mobile plant, and negotiating altered traffic flows while undertaking this type of work.
At the completion of this course learners will:
- Learn how to apply the Safety Hierarchy of Controls to address workplace hazards.
- Learn about the need to remain attentive at all times when working alongside live traffic.
- Understand the risk as a traffic controller when working alongside live traffic.
- Learn how to safely set up and pack up exclusion zones when working alongside live traffic.
- Learn what is expected of a traffic controller in terms of the directions they can give, how to deal with the public and what to do if a driver disobeys their instructions.
- Understand what to do if a vehicle crash occurs while they are on traffic control duties.
- Learn how to safely park up a vehicle to prevent a roll-away.
- Learn how to reduce the dust that is generated by civil construction work.
- Learn how to create exclusion zones that separate people and operating mobile plant.
- Learn how to provide safe access to demarcated sites for work vehicles, mobile plant and personnel.
- Learn how to safely control traffic when works are scheduled at traffic light intersections and rail crossings.
Course length: 30 mins (10 x 1-minute animated and subtitled videos + short answer assessments)
- Includes a panoramic scene and hazard spotting game
- Certificate of completion
- In-depth Reporting
- Facilitator’s Guide including video transcript and Assessment Q&A’s
- Optional pass rate
- All content can be customised
- Pause and resume function
Available in English.