You may have been promoted to Leading Hand after serving time in the work team because you either have excellent knowledge of the work that is done, are a champion of safe practice, have simply been there longer than anyone else or are generally well-liked by your team. But promotion to Leading Hand creates additional roles and responsibilities, and sometimes the leap is a challenge. The main role of a Leading Hand is to ensure that their workgroup achieves the results that they expect. They’re likely to be managing a team of between 5-10 people each day. Leading Hands are responsible for the results of their team and this means getting involved and understanding the day-to-day operation firsthand.
This course trains on the daily steps that the Leading Hand should do when working with their work crews including determining who will complete each task, ensuring that the team has the skills, knowledge and capacity to do the work and the right tools and equipment, conducting a daily briefing, conducting a risk assessment to identify any high-risk tasks, and reviewing JSA’s.
The training teaches about the importance of good communication, active listening, providing critical feedback and resolving conflicts that may arise.
At the completion of this course learners will:
- Understand what is required of them each day in regards to reviewing the scope of the work, available resources and the team.
- Learn how to conduct a briefing about the day’s work and assign the tasks.
- Learn the best actions to take if the task changes.
- Understand the need to perform a risk assessment and review the Job Safety Analysis.
- Learn how to communicate effectively with the team.
- Learn how to actively listen when speaking with team members.
- Understand how to resolve any conflicts that arise.
- Learn problem-solving skills.
Course length: 12 mins (8-minute animated and subtitled video + 8 short answer assessment)
- Certificate of completion
- In-depth Reporting
- Facilitator’s Guide including video transcript and Assessment Q&A’s
- Optional pass rate
- All content can be customised
- Pause and resume function
Available in English and French.