Vegetation management work exposes workers to a number of hazards including working alongside live traffic lanes, coming into contact with flora and fauna and slips and trips.
Regular clearing of rubbish and overgrown brush requires workers to conduct work outside in the elements, alone or in small teams in remote areas. Working in remote areas can expose workers to limited help in the event of an emergency and can lead to serious injury. Therefore, they need to understand how to protect themselves.
This course has a focus on the wearing of personal protective equipment, the safe operation of hand tools and handling of chemicals. The course also covers how to handle and dispose of used needles safely and how to prevent needlestick injuries.
At the completion of this course learners will:
- Learn how to apply the Safety Hierarchy of Controls to address workplace hazards.
- Learn how to safely handle sharps to avoid needlestick injuries.
- Learn how to safely manually handle materials using the correct lifting techniques.
- Learn the importance of clearly displaying speed limits for motorists as they pass the work site.
- Learn the importance of wearing gaiters to protect against snake bites when working in long grass and around brush and bushes.
- Learn how to protect their hands by wearing the correct gloves for the job.
- Understand the personal protective equipment they should wear when working with chain saws and brush cutters.
- Learn how to avoid slips and trips and the resultant falls when negotiating embankments and uneven surfaces.
- Understand that guards on machinery protect against entanglement and airborne projectiles.
- Learn how to safely handle, store and transport chemicals.
- Learn how to protect themselves from UV exposure hazards and understand the signs of heat stress.
- Learn how to manage insect bites and apply first aid, or in the case of a serious snake or spider bites, how to immobiliser the area and call emergency services.
Course length: 30 mins (11 x 1-minute animated and subtitled videos + short answer assessments)
- Includes a panoramic scene and hazard spotting game
- Certificate of completion
- In-depth Reporting
- Facilitator’s Guide including video transcript and Assessment Q&A’s
- Optional pass rate
- All content can be customised
- Pause and resume function
Available in English.