Undertaking road spray sealing work is a specialised activity that exposes workers to working directly with hot bitumen. There is a strong likelihood that workers can be sprayed or splashed with hot bitumen and this contact can result in serious burns.
This course focuses on maintaining safe exclusion zones from operating spray sealing plant to ensure contact with hot bitumen is minimised. This training includes advice on what to do if bitumen lands on the skin.
When mobile equipment in operation is placed together with workers on foot there is a need for adequate and safe separation to ensure that a worker does not come into contact with mobile plant in operation. The training also provides information about plant to plant exclusion zones, visibility and communication.
At the completion of this course learners will:
- Learn how to apply the Safety Hierarchy of Controls to address workplace hazards.
- Learn how to work around hot bitumen and the first aid to use if it comes into contact with their skin or eyes.
- Understand the need to ensure a safe operating distance from overhead power lines and vegetation when spray sealing a road.
- Learn about the hazards of reversing powered mobile plant and line of sight hazards.
- Learn about the importance of parking vehicles away from soft road edges to avoid rollover or becoming bogged.
- Learn how to maintain the site to ensure no unauthorised access while work is underway.
- Learn how to safely access and egress powered mobile plant and maintain 3 points of contact.
- Learn how to maintain good hydration levels and recognise the signs of heat stress.
- Understand the issues of working at dawn and dusk and how to avoid sun strike hazards.
Course length: 20 mins (8 x 1-minute animated and subtitled videos + short answer assessments)
- Includes a panoramic scene and hazard spotting game
- Certificate of completion
- In-depth Reporting
- Facilitator’s Guide including video transcript and Assessment Q&A’s
- Optional pass rate
- All content can be customised
- Pause and resume function
Available in English.