Any unplanned movement of mobile plant affects safe access and egress. Roll-aways are common on light vehicles and mobile plant when safe parking up practices are not adhered to.
This course trains about safe access and egress from mobile plant and discusses the importance of maintaining three points of contact and using handrails to ensure the risk of a fall is reduced. This is especially important when moving on and off mobile plant in a road maintenance environment.
Roll-aways and unplanned movement of mobile plant can cause serious injury, and the course places a focus on safe parking up and isolation methods. The temptation to leave machinery unattended for short bursts of time is explained in terms of the risks that this activity can lead to.
At the completion of this course learners will:
- Learn how to apply the Safety Hierarchy of Controls to address workplace hazards.
- Learn how to safely access and egress powered mobile plant by using 3 points of contact.
- Learn the importance of isolating all moving parts before performing any maintenance work.
- Understand the need to provide adequate space between mobile powered equipment when working in, on and around them.
- Understand line of sight and blind spot hazards for operators that all mobile equipment has.
- Learn how to safely park up powered mobile plant to prevent an unintended start-up or a roll-away, including correct isolation procedures, wheel chocking and selecting a safe area to park up away from sloping ground.
- Learn how to safely work alongside other workers operating powered mobile plant.
Course length: 20 mins (9 x 1-minute animated and subtitled videos + short answer assessments)
- Includes a panoramic scene and hazard spotting game
- Certificate of completion
- In-depth Reporting
- Facilitator’s Guide including video transcript and Assessment Q&A’s
- Optional pass rate
- All content can be customised
- Pause and resume function
Available in English.