Conducting road construction alongside live traffic lanes presents the need to carefully consider safety around traffic management. Members of the public are not always predictable and can be confused with the changes to the flow of traffic. Workers on foot and their interaction with operating mobile plant present line of sight hazards.
In this course, we train about the hazards of working alongside live traffic lanes during road construction work. The focus is on managing the site to keep it separated from the public and advises what to do when the site becomes compromised.
When mobile equipment in operation is placed together with workers on foot there is a need for adequate and safe separation to ensure that a worker does not come into contact with mobile plant in operation. The training provides information about plant to plant exclusion zones, visibility and communication.
At the completion of this course learners will:
- Learn how to apply the Safety Hierarchy of Controls to address workplace hazards.
- Learn how to safely control traffic including understanding safe stopping distances, line of sight and how to work around live traffic.
- Learn about the UV exposure risks of working outside in the sun and UV protection.
- Learn about the dehydration risks of physical work and working outside in the sun.
- Learn how to work around operating mobile plant exclusion zones.
- Learn the importance of clear signage to denote plant operating exclusion zones.
- Understand the risks of driving close to culverts and drains along the roadside.
- Understand machine exclusion zones when operating multiple powered mobile plant.
- Learn how to recognise physical and mental fatigue and the importance of being fit for work.
- Learn how to address dust and visibility hazards.
- Learn about the need to establish positive radio communication and how to use a two-way radio.
Course length: 30 mins (10 x 1-minute animated and subtitled videos + short answer assessments)
- Includes a panoramic scene and hazard spotting game
- Certificate of completion
- In-depth Reporting
- Facilitator’s Guide including video transcript and Assessment Q&A’s
- Optional pass rate
- All content can be customised
- Pause and resume function
Available in English.