Companies conducting work in open cut mining understand the extreme risks of workers operating in a charged blasting environment. Working around explosives and detonators to extract ore are high-risk activities.
This course recognises the hazards of heavy mobile plant in operation interacting with workers on foot. Exclusion zones, blind spots and vision shadows are trained to ensure safe navigation around moving mobile plant.
Visibility and communication are of paramount importance in mining areas, and this training places a focus on these risks and how to work safely in these environments. Isolations and pinch points are also addressed to reinforce the importance of ‘testing for dead’ before any work is undertaken.
At the completion of this course learners will:
- Learn how to apply the Safety Hierarchy of Controls to address workplace hazards.
- Learn about exclusion zones and traffic management plans.
- Understand the need to keep work and travel areas free from large rocks because they can cause significant damage to heavy mobile equipment tyres.
- Learn about the hazards of running over electric power leads with vehicle and equipment tyres.
- Learn about crushing and pinch points and the importance of guarding.
- Understand that when working on a mine site mobile phone use is likely to be restricted.
- Learn the importance of displaying flags on the masts of light vehicles to aid in visibility.
- Learn about stored energy in powered mobile plant and their implements.
- Learn about the line of sight hazards and safe passing practices when heavy plant and light vehicles are working together.
- Learn how to safely access and egress from mobile equipment.
- Learn how to respond to fires and emergencies, for example, vehicle fires.
- Understand how to respond to lightning hazards.
- Learn how to safely handle explosives and work around blasting activities.
Course length: 30 mins (14 x 1-minute animated and subtitled videos + short answer assessments)
- Includes a panoramic scene and hazard spotting game
- Certificate of completion
- In-depth Reporting
- Facilitator’s Guide including video transcript and Assessment Q&A’s
- Optional pass rate
- All content can be customised
- Pause and resume function
Available in English.