Working in the transmission yard requires considerable manual handling activities. Workers need to reach bus bars using link sticks that places strain on their necks and shoulders, transport and carry heavy equipment while adhering to safe approach distances from the high voltage areas.
Sustained overreaching and poor postures can lead to long term back, neck and shoulder injuries. The training discusses safe manual handling and repetitive tasks such as using link sticks in a scene where workers are working in the transmission yard.
This course has a clear focus on manual handling injuries that may come from the work that is carried out when workers are in the transmission yard maintaining the electricity supply. The scene uses an active transmission yard to focus on manual handling risks as workers carry out maintenance work.
At the completion of this course learners will:
- Learn how to apply the Safety Hierarchy of Controls to address workplace hazards.
- Learn how to safely lift an object.
- Learn about the hazards of overreaching and the stress it can cause the body and lead to musculoskeletal injuries.
- Learn the safe way to load and unload extension ladders on vehicles.
- Learn how to safely lift a test set using a mechanical aid to avoid injury.
- Learn how to safely handle heavy and awkward objects such as oil drums.
- Learn how to safely transport earth leads that are awkward to handle and how to eliminate trip hazards.
- Understand the need to walk on flat even ground when carrying materials and how to maintain areas to prevent fall hazards.
- Learn about the stress on the body when driving vehicles and powered mobile plant and the need to maintain ergonomic seating.
- Learn about physical and mental fatigue and how body stressing can lead to manual handling injuries.
- Understand the impact of working in extremely hot or cold conditions can have on the body when manually handling materials.
Course length: 30 mins (10 x 2-minute animated and subtitled videos + short answer assessments)
- Includes a panoramic scene and hazard spotting game
- Certificate of completion
- In-depth Reporting
- Facilitator’s Guide including video transcript and Assessment Q&A’s
- Optional pass rate
- All content can be customised
Available in English