Working in the maintenance workshop requires considerable manual handling activities. Workers need to perform mechanical maintenance on heavy and light vehicles that place strain on their necks and shoulders and lower limbs.
Sustained overreaching and poor postures can lead to long term back, neck and shoulder injuries. The training discusses safe manual handling and repetitive tasks such as changing out tyres, handling materials and working under vehicles where workers are working in the maintenance workshop.
This course has a clear focus on manual handling injuries that may come from the work that is carried out when workers are in the maintenance workshop and handling materials from storage areas. The scene uses an active maintenance workshop to focus on manual handling risks as workers carry out their work.
At the completion of this course learners will:
- Learn how to apply the Safety Hierarchy of Controls to address workplace hazards.
- Learn how to safely lift an object.
- Learn how to safely handle overweight materials.
- Learn about the risks to the body when overreaching out of machinery such as an elevated work platform.
- Learn how to safely handle large and heavy objects such as cable drums and use mechanical aids.
- Learn how to safely handle and replace tyres and use mechanical aids.
- Understand the stress on the body when working in cramped conditions such as under powered mobile plant or in basements with low ceilings.
- Learn about the risk of maintaining poor postures when driving vehicles and powered mobile plant.
- Learn about physical and mental fatigue and how body stressing can lead to manual handling injuries.
- Understand the impact of working in extremely hot or cold conditions can have on the body when manually handling materials.
Course length: 30 mins (8 x 2-minute animated and subtitled videos + short answer assessments)
- Includes a panoramic scene and hazard spotting game
- Certificate of completion
- In-depth Reporting
- Facilitator’s Guide including video transcript and Assessment Q&A’s
- Optional pass rate
- All content can be customised
- Pause and resume function
Available in English and French.