Haul roads on mining sites are busy and have large volumes of heavy mobile equipment travelling on them continually. Only authorised personnel should be travelling on the haul road.
Heavy mobile equipment have blind spots and vision shadows where the operator cannot see others working around them. Stopping distances are also compromised due to the weight of the trucks and the loads that are carried.
This course teaches safe operating distances between heavy mobile equipment, along with other safety requirements when working on the haul road. The course covers unauthorised access to the haul road and the importance of checkpoints to prevent unauthorised entry.
At the completion of this course learners will:
- Learn how to apply the Safety Hierarchy of Controls to address workplace hazards.
- Learn about exclusion zones and traffic management plans and that a person on foot is not permitted on haul roads.
- Understand that when working on a mine site mobile phone use is likely to be restricted.
- Learn that operating a crane requires a safe lifting plan, barricading and signage.
- Learn about the line of sight hazards and safe passing practices when heavy plant and light vehicles are working together.
- Learn about the hazards of fly rocks that can flick up on unsealed roads.
- Learn about safe distances when operating heavy mobile equipment.
- Understand the importance of wearing personal protective equipment when working in mining areas.
- Understand the requirement to place placards and warning signs on vehicles transporting dangerous goods such as explosives.
- Learn the importance of regular maintenance of machinery and equipment.
- Learn about dust hazards and activities to suppress dust.
- Learn how to build windrows/berms to the correct height standard.
- Learn to recognise and address fatigue hazards.
Course length: 30 mins (12 x 1-minute animated and subtitled videos + short answer assessments)
- Includes a panoramic scene and hazard spotting game
- Certificate of completion
- In-depth Reporting
- Facilitator’s Guide including video transcript and Assessment Q&A’s
- Optional pass rate
- All content can be customised
- Pause and resume function
Available in English.