In this course, we look at what it means to be fit for work when working on FIFO rosters. The term “fit for work”, means that a person is in a physical and mental state which enables them to perform their work tasks competently and in a manner which does not threaten their safety, health or wellbeing, or that of others.
A person’s fitness for work can be adversely affected by several factors including long working hours, fatigue, hydration, depression, stress, anxiety, illness, injury, the use of prescribed medication and illicit drugs and the inappropriate use of alcohol and other legalised drugs.
The course looks at the key impacts of a person’s fitness to train in safe practices. Physical and mental fatigue, prescription medication, alcohol, and the importance of sleep are covered. Employees are encouraged to speak with their Supervisor or Manager when feeling fatigued or when they have concerns with their mental health.
At the completion of this course learners will:
- Learn how to apply the Safety Hierarchy of Controls to address workplace hazards.
- Learn how long working hours and sleep deprivation can affect mental alertness and fatigue.
- Understand how to manage physical and mental fatigue hazards.
- Learn about the responsible drinking guidelines for alcohol consumption and expectations on site.
- Understand that they must report any prescribed medication and that it needs to be documented on their Medical Information.
- Understand that their organisation expects them to arrive fit for work and that random drug and alcohol testing may occur and a zero BAC may be required.
- Learn about the importance of sleep and the need to have a regular sleep regime.
- Learn how to maintain good mental health and understand how to reach out if they are experiencing difficulties.
Course length: 15 mins (6 x 1-minute animated and subtitled videos + short answer assessments)
- Certificate of completion
- In-depth Reporting
- Facilitator’s Guide including video transcript and Assessment Q&A’s
- Optional pass rate
- All content can be customised
- Pause and resume function
Available in English and French.