There are times when you will want to conduct a safety observation or safety interaction discussion with employees who are engaged in high-risk or specifically focused tasks.
This is an opportunity to observe work as is done, and not work as imagined.
This course details the 5 steps to complete an in-field safety visit:
- Plan and prepare.
- Discuss the task and gain feedback on potential exposures.
- Observe the work looking for positive and risky behaviours.
- Provide feedback and agree on a safe way forward.
- Use the safety management system to record the interaction, improvements and actions identified.
At the completion of this course learners will:
- Understand the importance of planning and preparation before undertaking an in-field safety observation.
- Determine the targeted work area and the safe behaviours they want to see demonstrated.
- Learn how to discuss with the team member they manage how they are completing the task to encourage an open conversation.
- Learn how to coach the team member on how to recognise the consequences of the hazards involved with the tasks they perform.
- Learn how to quickly observe the work and take in the environment and risks.
- Develop skills to provide constructive feedback to the team member.
- Understand the importance of recording the safety observation on the company’s systems.
- Recognise any improvements that need to be undertaken, assign these tasks and communicate to others.
Course length: 10 mins (7-minute animated and subtitled video + 6 short answer assessment)
- Certificate of completion
- In-depth Reporting
- Facilitator’s Guide including video transcript and Assessment Q&A’s
- Optional pass rate
- All content can be customised
- Pause and resume function
Available in English.